The history of Crémant de Bourgogne began in the early nineteenth century. In 1822 when the Petiot brothers, traders in Chalon-sur-Saône and vineyard owners in Mercurey and Rully, hire a talented young man from Champagne, François-Hubert Bazile. Bazile, had built up a knowledge of working in a ‘Maison de Champagne’.
The Petiot brothers were convinced by his skills and launched their first production method ‘ Champenoise’. In 1826, they sold their sparkling wine under the name “Fleur de Champagne – Superior Quality.”
Already by 1827, one million bottles were sold across France.
In 1970 Under the leadership of Michel Esclavy, a group of winemakers based around Auxerre used strict conditions of traditional production and know-how but also rigorous wine-making techniques of high quality excellence and with this new commitment to excellence, and in October 1975 the “Sparkling Burgundy” obtains the AOC “Crémant de Bourgogne”.
Today ‘Crémant de Bourgogne’ is a major player in the Burgundy wine production, representing 10% of the volume. With more than 16 million bottles sold worldwide, ‘Crémant de Bourgogne’ is a name recognized and appreciated at many large respected tables and occupies a deserved place among its competitors on the market in France and sparkling wine market of the world.